Thursday, July 14, 2011

Moaning Myrtle the Photo Manip

   Tomorrow morning at 12:01 AM I will be at my local movie theater witnessing the last movie in a series of 8.  For many devout fans of the Rowling series it feels like the end of an era, the end to their childhood even.  I can understand that a bit, though I did not discover these books until I was an adult (though technically the main characters were my age, I was born in 1980 like Harry was).  However, when reading this story I was definitely transported back and became a child a bit, relating to the children in the book and watching them learn and struggle with spells and relationships.  When reading a series like that it is inevitable that your mind wanders to "Who can I relate too the most?" For me that is a mixture of Hermione Granger (I was that annoying girl in Science class who was first with her hand up to answer a question) and Moaning Myrtle.  Middle School was less than kind to me, actually that is a major understatement, I went through hell, from having glitter dumped on my head to having my purse stolen and later found smothered in green paint and other more personal and physical attacks I don't want to get into here.  It took a very long time for me not to feel anger towards those classmates.  So, when I read that Myrtle was teased about her glasses by Olive Hornby and then ran to the bathroom upset and was killed by the Basilisk, I didn't really blame Myrtle for haunting Olive.  Sure, it wasn't Olive's fault that Tom had let the Basilisk out, but Myrtle did not know what killed her really...no one did until the Chamber of Secrets was opened again.  Also, it sounds as if it wasn't the first time Olive had teased her, Myrtle's fixation on Olive Hornby may have been irrational and blown out of proportion, yet it was understandable at the same time...especially when you realize that ghost or no Myrtle is still a child.

So....now I'll tell you a little about the art!  I was tempted to draw an image of Myrtle, and maybe I will in the future, but it's been a loooong time since I did a photo-manipulation and ghost photo-manips are so fun, so when I saw stock images on Deviantart by Kristina Horner of the Parselmouths I just had to put her in a bathroom!




"Nobody missed me even when I was alive. Took them hours to find my body- I know, I was sitting there waiting for them. Olive Hornby came into the bathroom- 'Are you in here again, sulking Myrtle?, she said, 'because Professor Dippet asked me to look for you-' And then she saw my body...ooooh, she didn't forget that until her dying day, I made sure of that..."
—Myrtle to Harry Potter[src]

Stock Credits:
Moaning Myrtle: Kristina Horner
Background:  ColdStock

Oh and by the way I will be going to the movie in costume.....as Moaning Myrtle.

Edit: Forgot to add a video with a song from an amazing Wrock band called The Moaning Myrtles, 'And Then I Died':

No comments:

Post a Comment