Monday, December 20, 2010

Clone a Cthulhu: Adventures in Stamping Evil

Sometimes inspiration hits from odd places.  I saw a friend on facebook share a funny video called "Hey there Chthulu":
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA&fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6]
I got to thinking way too deeply about it, which I tend to do.  The octopus like monsters have terrified humanity for a long time.  What I find interesting is they are definitively NOT serpentine like many of the old monsters but the tentacles have a very serpentine quality and perhaps that mixed with the fear of the deep unknown which a creature from the sea would certainly represent.  The oceans depths is nearly as unfathomable as the vastness of space (not quite but nearly).  So, I think I will be covering some of those fantasy and mythological monsters like chthulu, medusa and others a bit more.  For now I'll start off with the little eraser stamp I made...not bad I think for my first time carving in 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment